M.I.A.: Richey Edwards


The Manic Street Preachers guitarist and writer disappeared in early February 1995 on the eve of a U.S. tour. His car was found on the banks of the River Severn, but despite repeated “sightings” he has never been found.

Courtesy of richeyedwards.net, here’s a brief chronology of the final couple of weeks leading up to his disappearance. For full details, click on the link.

23 January: Richey gives his last ever interview, for the Japanese magazine, Music Life, with Midori Tsukagoshi.

23 January: Richey sees his parents for the last time.

29-30 January: Manic Street Preachers spend these days rehearsing for their upcoming tour of America.

31 January: Richey talks to his mother for the last time. He tells her that he isn’t really looking forward to going to America.

31 January: Richey and bandmate James Dean Bradfield check into the London Embassy hotel on Bayswater Road in London in preparation for leaving for their promotional tour of America the next day.

1 February: 7 AM (GMT): Richey checks out of the Embassy hotel, and is never seen again. It is certain that he drives to his apartment in Cardiff where he leaves some things before driving away again. By some accounts, he does not enter Wales for eight hours after leaving the hotel. Meanwhile, James goes on to America, believing Richey might return after a few days.

2 February: Martin Hall, the Manic Street Preachers’ manager, files a missing person report on Richey with the Metropolitan (London) police. Richey’s family places an advert in their local paper. It reads: “Richard, please make contact. Love Mum, Dad and Rachel”. The advert runs for three days.

February: sometime during the two weeks following his leaving the Embassy Hotel in London, Richey is supposedly spotted at the passport office in Newport.

5 February: David Cross, a fan from Mid-Glamorgan, supposedly sees Richey at the Newport bus station.

7 February: Anthony Hatherhall, a taxi driver from Newport, supposedly picks up Richey from the King’s hotel in Newport, and drives him around the valleys, including Blackwood. The passenger gets off at the Severn View service station and pays the £68 fare in cash.

14 February: Richey’s Vauxhall Cavalier arrives at the (Aust) Severn service station.

15 February: the South Wales police issue a public statement about Richey’s disappearance. Also, Richey’s father, Graham Edwards, appears on Cardiff’s Red Dragon Radio, to appeal to Richey to get in touch. The Manic Street Preachers issue an official band statement.

17 February: Richey’s Vauxhall Cavalier is reported abandoned at the (Aust) Severn service station. Apparently, Richey has been living in it for a time. The battery is run down, and burger wrappers and pictures of his family, which were taken the month before, are found in it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s